Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Time moves too quickly

I can’t believe its mid-March.  I started this blog close to five months ago and I never imagined what kind of mental place I’d be in this far down the road.  I was taking it a week at a time, and that time flew by. 

In this past week, my mental attitude has had a major adjustment.  I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t be honest and tell you that January and February were very negative writing months.  Not so on the production/creativity side, but on the “I don’t know why I’m doing this, I’m never going to succeed” side. 

In my first blog post (and a couple after), I mentioned the love/hate relationship I have for my novel(s).  I’ve been told by seasoned writers that we all go through it.  Everyone hates their own work, thinks it sucks and loses faith at some point or another.  The good news is I’m no different from my peers.  The bad news?  When my faith in my craft falters, I’m finding it harder to pick my confidence back up and brush it off.  At least, I was finding it harder.

For those who follow me on Facebook and Twitter, you’ve seen I’ve been posting quotes a lot recently.  These quotes keep my confidence from falling again.  They give me insight and they are spoken or written by people who were once like me-a person with a big dream.  The difference between having a dream and achieving it is confidence and will, plain and simple.  If I have the drive and desire, if I work hard and keep at it, if I make my story the best it can be and do everything I can to get it out there, then at the end of my road will be success.  If not, then at least I can look back on my journey and know I did what I could, not wonder “What if?” and have regrets. 

Usually I’m pessimistic and maybe a little masochistic.  Instilling this in to my daily thought process has helped me work to change that, but there is still work to be done.  Rome wasn’t built in a day, and my self-deprecating attitude won’t be fixed overnight.  My plan is to keep at the motivational quotes and hard work.  Let’s see if I hold strong once the rejections start coming in, because there is bound to be some.

We are 7 followers away from the next “Inside Look” challenge reward.  That was fast!  Also a quick note to say I’m posting a lot more on Twitter on a trial basis.  Not that I don’t love Facebook, but with multiple postings daily it’s easier on Twitter since it’s built for that. 

An unrelated note, if you haven't done so, please donate to help aid Japan.  My heart is literally broken for everyone affected.  They're in very dire circumstances and each day more bad news comes out of there.  Every bit makes a huge difference.  This is a link to an article with great resources on how to help/donate:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/15/how-to-help-japan-earthquake-relief_n_834484.html   

I’ve caught a cold and have been sick all day, so now that my little one is in bed, I’ll be doing the same after a nice, hot shower.  If I don’t post again before it, Happy St. Patrick’s Day!  Be safe and thank you for any help you can provide to aid Japan's disaster relief! 

No comments:

Post a Comment